Letter to Charles.............

 

Letter to Charles…

Cyril Cupid

Many thanks to Mansel Lovering, who wrote me a letter, in regard to the article ‘Games and Names’ in the June issue of Bay. He knew Cyril Cupid and had fond memories of him and his family. Here’s an extract from his letter:

Dear Charles

Thank you for the article on Cyril Cupid.

He was a real gent.

At nearly 90, I grew up on Gors Road near Cwmbwrla. My mother was from there, but my father hailed from Jersey Marine. She would write letters to him whilst courting and ask Cyril to post them when he passed the post box on his way home. He delivered the evening paper to my mother’s home. In those days he was called Dougie Cupid by the people in the Gors area, including Percy Street (now named Meadow Street).

My father and mother married in 1928, so Cyril was a teenager when he posted the letters. Maybe Dougie was the name given to him by his fellow workers at Cwmfelin.

Talking about him to my wife, she said that she had been at school with Cyril’s daughter Coral, having lived new Llwyn Derw on Carmarthen Road.

Dougie Cupid is well remembered by me, and really deserves a finer road to be named after him.

Mansel Lovering

Copyright - Bay Magazine,  August 2021

Comments

Popular Posts