The Pebblewick Chronicles - Chapter 13- The funeral
Wednesday: Preparing the Grave
On Wednesday morning, Clifford Post dug Lawrence
Milton-Price's grave.
Anyone who knew the Post family would have recognised the
resemblance immediately. Clifford, older brother to Patrick, possessed much the
same sturdy build and weathered features. Both men were short, broad-shouldered
and permanently marked by lives spent outdoors beneath every variety of British
sky.
Both were cheerful.
Both were hardworking.
And both, perhaps most memorably, whistled.
Patrick whistled while delivering letters.
Clifford whistled while digging graves.
Pebblewick, having lived alongside them for decades, had
learned not to judge either profession by its soundtrack.
Officially, Clifford had retired several years earlier. In
practice, retirement in Pebblewick often functioned less as a permanent
condition and more as a polite suggestion.
St Bartholomew's churchyard was old.
Very old.
The ground held generations of village history beneath its
grass. Clifford knew every inch of it. He knew where tree roots twisted through
the soil and where forgotten stones waited below the surface. He knew which
plots settled poorly after rain and which corners of the churchyard demanded
careful handling and a sharp spade.
There was not a man alive who knew the place better.
During the summer months he supplemented his retirement by
leading walking tours around the village. To the surprise of outsiders, these
tours were remarkably popular. Visitors followed him through winding streets
and narrow lanes while he pointed out historic cottages, recounted stories of
former residents, and occasionally interrupted himself to whistle greetings at
passing locals.
Wednesday, however, found him back where Pebblewick had
known him longest.
In the churchyard.
With a spade in his hands.
And, rather unexpectedly, with Alf beside him.
I learned this from Patrick, who wandered into The Salty
Page shortly before lunch.
"Boy asked if he could help," he told me.
"Help with what?"
Patrick looked surprised by the question.
"The grave."
I considered that.
"What did Clifford say?"
"He handed him a spade."
That sounded exactly like Clifford.
Apparently Alf had spent most of the morning working beside
him.
The Milton-Price Plot
The Milton-Prices had been buried at St Bartholomew's for
generations.
Lawrence's grandparents had been the first members of the
family laid to rest there. His parents followed decades later, both passing
away during the early nineteen-eighties.
Now Lawrence would join them.
One final space waiting beside those who had gone before.
According to Patrick, Alf had acquitted himself well.
Clifford certainly thought so.
By lunchtime he had made the boy an offer.
"I'll teach you."
Alf paused.
"Teach me what?"
Clifford rested on his spade.
"To dig graves."
Most people might have considered that an unusual
proposition.
Alf merely frowned.
"Thought you retired."
"I did."
Clifford pushed the blade of the spade into the earth.
"Didn't take."
Patrick claimed that was the entire conversation.
The more I considered it, the more believable it became.
Clifford's intention was simple enough. One day he really
would retire. When that happened, someone younger would need to understand the
churchyard as thoroughly as he did.
Someone would have to know the ground.
Alf agreed.
I could see why.
He liked outdoor work.
He was practical.
He was strong.
And, unlike Lawrence Milton-Price during his lifetime, the
dead rarely complained about how a job was done.
Lawrence's Final Night
That evening the coffin was carried back to the farmhouse.
Lawrence would spend his final night there.
Alf insisted upon staying as well.
Nobody attempted to stop him.
For years Lawrence Milton-Price had lived among those
fields. He had walked their boundaries, argued over their ownership, tended his
livestock and defended his opinions with the same stubborn determination he
applied to everything else.
The farm had been the centre of his life.
It seemed fitting that it should be the place from which he
departed.
Thursday: The Funeral
The bells of St Bartholomew's began ringing shortly after
breakfast.
Not the bright, welcoming peal of a Sunday morning.
Something slower.
Something measured.
Each note carrying the unmistakable weight of a funeral.
Across Harbour Street, shutters came down and signs were
turned.
The bakery closed.
The post office closed.
The Codfather closed.
The Merry Teapot closed.
And in The Salty Page, I turned my own sign from OPEN
to CLOSED.
For once, not a single customer complained.
As far as anyone knew, Lawrence Milton-Price would be buried
entirely by the village he had spent his life amongst.
There had been no sign of Augustus.
No Jack.
No James.
No Jane.
No distant relatives arriving in expensive cars asking for
directions to the church.
If family existed beyond Pebblewick, they remained unseen.
So Lawrence would be carried to his grave by neighbours,
acquaintances, rivals and friends.
Which, in its own peculiar way, felt entirely appropriate.
The Tractor
Alf had requested one thing.
He wanted to drive the tractor.
Behind it rolled a farm cart carrying Lawrence's coffin.
There would be no hearse.
No polished limousine.
No sombre black procession from a funeral company.
Lawrence had lived as a farmer.
A tractor seemed far more suitable.
The machine moved slowly from the farmhouse towards the
village.
Very slowly.
At first only a handful of people walked behind it.
Then more joined.
By the time it reached Harbour Street, the gathering had
become a proper procession.
Doors opened.
Residents stepped outside.
Shopkeepers locked up and fell into line.
Captain Haddock removed his cap.
Patrick Post stopped whistling.
Even the gulls seemed quieter than usual.
Inside The Salty Page, I watched the procession
approach.
Then the telephone rang.
And with that simple interruption, events took a direction
nobody in Pebblewick could possibly have anticipated.
Archibald Winterbottom Calls
The telephone rang again.
Outside, Lawrence Milton-Price's funeral procession was
moving steadily along Harbour Street.
Inside The Salty Page, I stared at the instrument
with the vague irritation usually reserved for dripping taps and people who
asked whether books were cheaper online.
The shop was closed.
The bells were ringing.
Half the village was currently accompanying a coffin towards
St Bartholomew's.
Surely nobody required a book at such a moment.
The telephone disagreed.
I lifted the receiver.
"The Salty Page."
"Mr Quibble?"
I recognised the voice immediately.
"Mr Winterbottom."
"Harold, I have news."
Archibald Winterbottom was not a man given to excitement.
Consequently, when excitement occurred, it tended to manifest itself as a
slight increase in speaking speed and an almost imperceptible rise in volume.
By Archibald standards, he sounded positively reckless.
"I've completed the Milton-Price family tree."
"You found them?"
"I found considerably more than that."
Outside, through the front window, I could see the leading
edge of the procession entering Harbour Street.
Alf sat upright on the tractor.
Behind him rolled the cart bearing Lawrence's coffin.
People followed in respectful silence.
"I've traced several branches," Archibald
continued. "The family extends rather further than I originally
anticipated. Some lines proved straightforward. Others required a great deal
more work."
That sounded very much like family history.
The dead had an inconvenient tendency to scatter themselves
across counties, countries and decades before expecting somebody else to put
them back together.
"And there's something else."
There was a note in his voice that made me sit up slightly.
"What?"
"I saw Mr Milton-Price's obituary online."
I frowned.
"Online?"
"Indeed."
I briefly considered the matter.
Lawrence Milton-Price had spent most of his life arguing
with sheep, neighbours and planning regulations. The idea of him having an
online obituary felt oddly improbable.
"And because of that," Archibald said, "I
received a telephone call."
I straightened in my chair.
"A telephone call?"
"From a relative."
That certainly had my attention.
A relative.
After days of discussing Augustus, Jack, James and Jane as
though they were half-mythical figures wandering somewhere beyond the horizon,
one had apparently materialised.
"Who?"
"Well, that's precisely what I was attempting to—"
A sharp knock interrupted him.
I looked up.
Molly was standing outside the shop window.
She was dressed in black and pointing firmly towards the
approaching procession.
Her expression suggested that if I failed to emerge within
the next thirty seconds, she intended to come inside and retrieve me
personally.
"Mr Winterbottom, I apologise."
"What?"
"The funeral."
"Yes, but Harold—"
"It's arriving."
"I realise that."
"And Molly appears to be losing patience."
There was a brief silence.
Archibald had never met Molly.
Yet somehow I felt he understood the situation immediately.
"Very well," he said.
"I'll call you afterwards."
"Please do. The relative who contacted me is
extremely—"
I put the receiver down.
This turned out to be a significant mistake.
Not the funeral.
The timing.
As events would shortly demonstrate, Archibald Winterbottom
had been attempting to tell me something rather important.
Joining the Procession
I locked the door and stepped outside.
Molly folded her arms.
"You nearly missed it."
"I was on the telephone."
"During a funeral?"
"It wasn't the funeral calling."
She considered this.
"Fair point."
Together we joined the procession.
Ahead of us walked most of Pebblewick.
Elizabeth and Dorothy were several rows in front.
Captain Haddock marched solemnly with his cap tucked beneath
one arm.
Patrick Post walked unusually quietly.
Even Reverend Finch appeared focused.
Which was worrying.
The coffin rolled steadily onwards.
Lawrence Milton-Price was taking his final journey through
the village he had spent half a century arguing with.
People stood respectfully in doorways.
Some bowed their heads.
Others simply watched.
One elderly resident raised a hand in farewell as the cart
passed.
Nobody laughed.
Nobody spoke.
Even the gulls seemed content to postpone their opinions for
a few minutes.
Beside me, Molly glanced at the coffin.
"You know," she said softly, "I think he'll
have liked this."
"Being buried?"
"The village turning out."
I looked ahead.
The entire street seemed to be moving towards St
Bartholomew's.
Neighbours.
Friends.
Former enemies.
People whose fences he had disputed.
People whose tools he had borrowed.
People whose sheep he had returned with lengthy commentary
attached.
"Yes," I said.
"I think he would."
The tractor continued slowly up the hill.
Above us, the bells of St Bartholomew's kept ringing.
Measured.
Steady.
Ancient.
Calling one generation to its rest.
None of us yet knew they were also ringing in another.
St Bartholomew's
The procession reached the church just as the bells fell
silent.
For a few moments afterwards, the sudden absence of sound
felt almost as noticeable as the ringing itself.
The tractor stopped outside the lychgate.
Alf switched off the engine.
Nobody moved immediately.
Then, quietly, the bearers stepped forward.
The coffin was lifted from the cart.
Lawrence Milton-Price began the final few yards of his
journey.
At the church entrance stood Reverend Horace Finch.
His black robes fluttered gently in the sea breeze.
In one hand he held a prayer book.
In the other, several loose sheets of paper which looked
worryingly vulnerable to both weather and theology.
As the coffin approached, Horace nodded solemnly.
For perhaps the first time in weeks, he appeared entirely
certain why he was present.
"We welcome Lawrence Milton-Price into the house of
God."
Then he glanced at his notes.
I saw his eyes move across several lines.
A slight crease appeared in his forehead.
For a dreadful moment I thought he had forgotten whose
funeral it was.
Fortunately, recognition arrived before disaster.
"Lawrence," he repeated, with considerably greater
confidence.
The coffin passed him and entered the church.
We followed.
The Congregation
St Bartholomew's was not a large church.
That morning it felt even smaller.
Every pew seemed occupied.
People filled the aisles.
Late arrivals stood near the back.
The village had turned out in force.
Molly and I found seats about halfway down.
Elizabeth and Dorothy sat a few rows ahead.
Captain Haddock occupied a position near the aisle.
Patrick sat beside Clifford.
Mrs Watkins and Mrs Thistlewood had somehow acquired seats
that allowed them to observe almost everybody simultaneously.
I suspected this had required planning.
Possibly military planning.
The organ began softly.
The congregation rose.
Then the service commenced.
Reverend Finch's Farewell
To give Horace his due, he started well.
He spoke warmly about Lawrence.
He described his years on the farm.
His devotion to the land.
His connection to Pebblewick.
His stubborn independence.
Several people nodded in agreement.
Then Horace encountered his notes.
The notes rarely improved matters.
"We gather today to remember Leonard
Milton-Price—"
A ripple moved across the congregation.
Horace stopped.
Looked down.
Blinked.
"Lawrence," he corrected.
"Lawrence Milton-Price."
Silence returned.
The service continued.
Several minutes later he accidentally moved the farmhouse to
the opposite side of the village.
No one corrected him.
A little later he lost approximately twelve years from
Lawrence's life.
Again, no one intervened.
Funerals encourage generosity.
Besides, everybody knew Horace.
Correcting him would merely have created additional work.
Eventually he found his rhythm again.
Prayers followed.
Then a hymn.
Then a reading.
Outside, sunlight shone through the stained-glass windows.
Dust drifted lazily through the beams.
The church grew still.
For a while, everything proceeded exactly as funerals
usually do.
Which was about the point Pebblewick decided enough
normality had occurred.
The Door Opens
The church door burst open.
Not dramatically.
Not violently.
But with enough force to interrupt both Horace and the
reading.
Every head turned.
A young woman stood in the doorway.
She appeared to be in her late twenties.
Dark-haired.
Out of breath.
And unmistakably pregnant.
Very pregnant.
The sort of pregnant that suggested future plans should
involve locating a hospital rather urgently.
For several moments she remained standing there.
Breathing heavily.
Looking around the church.
Searching.
The interruption had frozen the entire congregation.
Even Horace had stopped speaking.
The young woman seemed suddenly aware that she had just
interrupted a village funeral.
"Oh."
Her voice was little more than a whisper.
"Sorry."
Then, blushing furiously, she slipped into the nearest pew
at the back.
The silence lingered.
Horace looked at her.
Then at his notes.
Then at the congregation.
Then back at his notes.
"Right."
He cleared his throat.
"As I was saying..."
The service resumed.
Technically.
In reality, a new question had just entered St
Bartholomew's.
And it was considerably more interesting than anything
currently written in Horace Finch's sermon.
Who was she?
I glanced sideways.
Molly was already wondering.
Ahead of us, Mrs Watkins was wondering.
Mrs Thistlewood was wondering with such intensity that she
appeared physically incapable of facing forwards.
By the end of the next thirty seconds, approximately eighty
percent of the church was wondering.
The remaining twenty percent simply had not noticed yet.
Questions Without Answers
The service carried on.
But attention drifted.
Every now and then somebody glanced discreetly towards the
back pew.
Or attempted to glance discreetly.
Mrs Thistlewood abandoned discretion almost immediately.
The young woman sat quietly throughout.
Hands folded.
Head lowered.
Occasionally she touched her stomach.
Otherwise she gave no clue as to who she might be.
Family?
Possibly.
Visitor?
Perhaps.
One of Lawrence's relatives?
That seemed unlikely.
We had spent days discussing relatives.
None had appeared.
Yet there she was.
Alone.
At the funeral.
And clearly determined to be there.
The thought lingered in my mind until the final hymn began.
Then the congregation stood.
The service drew to its conclusion.
And outside, in the churchyard, Lawrence Milton-Price's
grave waited among the generations who had gone before him.
None of us yet knew that before the burial was over, the
stranger at the back of the church would change the entire course of the day.
The Burial
The congregation emerged from St Bartholomew's into bright
morning sunshine.
The sea breeze had strengthened while we had been inside. It
moved quietly through the churchyard grass and stirred the leaves of the old
yew tree that stood watch over generations of Pebblewick dead.
Ahead of us, Lawrence Milton-Price's grave waited.
Fresh earth.
Neatly piled.
Prepared by Clifford's hands.
And, now, partly by Alf's.
The coffin was carried slowly across the churchyard.
People followed in respectful silence.
Not everyone who had attended the service came this far.
Some villagers drifted away towards their homes. Others intended to reopen
shops once the burial was complete.
But a smaller group continued onward.
Family, insofar as Lawrence had any present.
Friends, insofar as Lawrence had ever admitted possessing
any.
Neighbours, whether he approved of them or not.
The young woman from the church followed too.
I noticed that immediately.
So did Molly.
So, judging by the angle of her head, did Mrs Thistlewood.
The stranger remained quietly at the back of the gathering.
She said nothing. But she was still here.
Which suggested she had not come merely by accident.
Among the Milton-Prices
The coffin rested beside the open grave.
Nearby stood the headstones of Lawrence's parents.
Beyond them, slightly older and more weathered, lay those of
his grandparents.
The Milton-Prices had occupied this corner of St
Bartholomew's for decades.
Now Lawrence was returning to them.
For the first time all morning, everything felt utterly
still.
No bells.
No footsteps.
No whispers.
Even the gulls had fallen silent.
Reverend Finch stepped forward with his prayer book.
"We have come to lay Lawrence Milton-Price to rest
beside those members of his family who have gone before him."
He glanced down at the page.
Then looked at it again.
Apparently determined not to repeat earlier mistakes.
I respected the effort.
"May he be remembered for the life he lived among
us."
That, at least, was undeniably true.
Whatever else Lawrence Milton-Price had been, he had
certainly lived among us.
He had argued among us.
Complained among us.
Worked among us.
Stubbornly remained among us.
"For the work of his hands," Horace continued,
"the land he cared for, and the place he held within this community."
I saw several heads nod.
That sounded much more like Lawrence than the carefully
polished phrases often heard at funerals.
Lawrence had never been polished.
Fortunately, neither had Pebblewick.
The Final Prayer
Horace lowered his gaze.
"We commit Lawrence Milton-Price to his resting place,
in the sure and certain hope that death is not the end, and that those who
leave us remain forever in the care of God."
He paused.
The breeze moved gently through the churchyard.
"May he rest in peace."
"Amen."
The reply came softly from the gathered mourners.
Beside the grave, the ropes tightened.
The bearers took hold.
Slowly, carefully, the coffin began to descend.
Alf watched without blinking.
Clifford stood a little behind him.
One hand resting on the top of his walking stick.
The coffin moved lower.
And lower.
For a few moments, there was nothing but the soft hiss of
rope moving through gloved hands.
Then a sharp gasp shattered the silence.
Every head turned.
The Cry
The young woman had grabbed the edge of a nearby headstone.
Her face had gone pale.
Very pale.
One hand rested against the stone.
The other pressed against her stomach.
Molly reacted first.
She always did.
"Are you all right?"
The woman looked at her.
Then down at herself.
Then back again.
The expression on her face suggested the answer was probably
no.
"Oh dear," she said.
Nobody moved.
A strange stillness settled over the gathering.
Molly took another step forward.
"What is it?"
The young woman swallowed.
"My waters have broken."
Silence.
Absolute silence.
Even Horace stopped breathing for a moment.
There are certain statements capable of transforming an
atmosphere completely.
This was one of them.
Lawrence Milton-Price was halfway into his grave.
A heavily pregnant stranger appeared to be preparing to give
birth beside it.
Reverend Finch still had one hand inside his prayer book.
Mrs Thistlewood looked as though Christmas had arrived
unexpectedly.
For three full seconds, nobody knew what to do.
Then everybody began speaking at once.
And Pebblewick, which had gathered to bury a man, suddenly
found itself preparing to welcome a child.
Doctor Heal Returns
For several moments, chaos reigned.
Not serious chaos.
Pebblewick chaos.
The type involving too many people attempting to help at
once.
"Fetch Doctor Heal."
"He's already left."
"Someone stop him."
"Get an ambulance."
"Where's Constable Moss?"
"Right here."
"Well, do something."
Constable Moss looked mildly offended.
"I am."
"What?"
"Standing where people can find me."
Meanwhile, the young woman had been guided towards a nearby
bench beneath the yew tree.
Molly knelt beside her.
Elizabeth arrived seconds later.
Neither appeared remotely interested in the burial any
longer.
Lawrence, I suspected, would have approved.
A tremendous fuss over something entirely unrelated to him
was exactly the sort of thing he might have found amusing.
"Doctor Heal!" somebody shouted.
A figure appeared at the churchyard gate.
Apparently the doctor had only just reached the road before
being intercepted, informed, turned around and returned at speed.
Doctor Heal took one look at the young woman and immediately
transformed.
The calm village GP disappeared.
In his place stood a man accustomed to making decisions.
"How long?"
The woman answered between breaths.
Doctor Heal crouched beside her.
His expression changed.
That worried me.
"Ambulance," he said.
"Now."
Constable Moss set off immediately.
The doctor examined her for another moment.
Then he stood.
"Is there time?" I asked.
Doctor Heal looked at me grimly.
"No."
That single word altered the mood completely.
This was no longer a funeral interrupted by inconvenience.
This was a birth that had every intention of occurring
immediately.
Tea Towels
The next question, naturally, was what to do about it.
Nobody possessed an answer.
Then Molly vanished.
One moment she was beside the young woman.
The next she was running through the churchyard gate.
Several people noticed.
"Where's Molly gone?"
"She was just here."
"What happened?"
Nobody knew.
Five minutes later she returned.
Running.
Carrying what appeared to be half the contents of The
Merry Teapot.
Specifically, tea towels.
Dozens of them.
Doctor Heal stared at the bundle in her arms.
Molly stopped, breathing heavily.
"They're all I could find."
The doctor looked down.
Then nodded.
"They'll do."
It was not, I imagine, a sentence frequently found in
medical textbooks.
Encouraging Privacy
The young woman was carefully helped towards a quieter
corner of the churchyard.
Elizabeth and Molly accompanied Doctor Heal.
Several spectators attempted to follow.
Chief among them Mrs Thistlewood and Mrs Watkins.
Doctor Heal noticed immediately.
"No."
Mrs Watkins blinked.
"No?"
"No."
"We're only interested."
"So am I."
This seemed difficult to argue with.
Mrs Thistlewood tried another approach.
"What if assistance becomes necessary?"
"It won't."
"How do you know?"
"Because if assistance becomes necessary, I'll
ask."
The two women retreated several yards.
They remained visibly dissatisfied.
From their expressions, one would have thought medical
confidentiality had been invented personally to inconvenience them.
Reverend Finch Faces a Dilemma
Amid all this, Lawrence Milton-Price remained halfway to his
grave.
The coffin still dangled above the opening.
The bearers still held the ropes.
And Reverend Finch still had a service to complete.
He looked around uncertainly.
Then towards the doctor.
Then towards the grave.
Then at the prayer book.
"What should I do?"
Clifford Post answered.
"Finish the burial."
Horace considered this.
"Yes."
A pause.
"Quite right."
And so he did.
Later, I reflected that few clergymen can have faced quite
the same situation.
On one side of the churchyard, a funeral continued.
On the other, a birth was rapidly approaching.
One life ending.
Another beginning.
The ancient rhythm of existence unfolding simultaneously
within sight of each other.
Though, being Pebblewick, both events were accompanied by
confusion, discussion and an unusually large quantity of tea towels.
A Cry in the Churchyard
It happened rather suddenly.
One moment there were murmured conversations.
The next there was a cry.
Everyone froze.
Not the mother.
The baby.
A newborn cry rang across St Bartholomew's churchyard.
Thin.
Strong.
Unmistakably alive.
Every head turned.
Even the bearers stopped moving.
Even Horace Finch stopped speaking.
For several seconds, absolute silence followed.
Then smiles began appearing.
One by one.
Across faces that had gathered that morning intending only
to mourn.
Alf smiled.
Clifford smiled.
Elizabeth emerged wiping tears from her eyes.
Molly followed looking exhausted despite having done
considerably less work than the person who had actually given birth.
Doctor Heal appeared a moment later.
He removed his spectacles.
Cleaned them.
Put them back on.
Then announced:
"It's a boy."
The churchyard erupted into relieved applause.
Lawrence's Last Journey Ends
For a moment, everyone seemed unsure which event they ought
to focus upon.
The funeral.
Or the birth.
Lawrence, fortunately, no longer had strong opinions about
the matter.
Clifford quietly stepped forward.
The ropes moved once more.
Slowly.
Carefully.
The coffin descended.
Past the edge of the grave.
Past the level of the surrounding earth.
Down into its resting place.
Beside his parents.
Beside his grandparents.
Back among the Milton-Prices.
As the final prayer was spoken, I found myself looking
towards the corner of the churchyard where the newborn child had entered the
world.
The contrast was almost too neat.
Too perfectly arranged.
The sort of thing an author might invent and an editor would
probably reject for being unrealistic.
Yet there it was.
Within one small churchyard.
One family returning to the earth.
One new life arriving among the living.
And nobody, not even Archibald Winterbottom, yet realised
that the two events were connected.
The Merry Teapot Maternity Ward
The ambulance had been called.
Whether it would arrive before Pebblewick organised the
situation itself remained uncertain.
Doctor Heal took charge with the quiet efficiency of a man
who had long ago accepted that villages rarely behaved according to official
procedures.
"The Merry Teapot," Molly announced.
Everybody turned to look at her.
"It's warm."
A reasonable point.
"It's close."
Another reasonable point.
"And I've got more towels."
A considerably stronger argument than the first two.
Within minutes, the new mother was being carefully escorted
across Harbour Street.
The funeral party followed.
Not all of them.
But enough to make it appear that a small migration was
underway.
Lawrence Milton-Price remained behind in St Bartholomew's
churchyard.
Clifford and Alf stayed to finish the grave.
Everyone else drifted towards the tearoom.
I felt faintly guilty about abandoning the funeral for the
baby.
Then I imagined Lawrence being informed of the situation.
He would almost certainly have said something along the
lines of:
"Well, don't stand around looking at me."
That settled the matter.
Tea, Towels and Questions
The Merry Teapot had hosted wedding receptions, birthday
parties, charity meetings, model railway exhibitions and, on one memorable
occasion, a dispute regarding competitive jam-making.
A maternity ward was a new addition.
Molly commandeered the warmest corner.
Elizabeth produced blankets.
Doctor Heal carried out another examination.
Mrs Thistlewood and Mrs Watkins attempted to help.
Their assistance was politely declined.
Several times.
The baby slept.
The mother looked exhausted.
Yet every few seconds she glanced down at the tiny bundle in
her arms and smiled.
Outside, people gathered by the windows.
Pebblewick had not experienced a churchyard birth in living
memory.
Quite possibly not in recorded history.
The village was unlikely to recover from the excitement for
months.
Eventually, when Doctor Heal seemed satisfied that everyone
was stable and no immediate crises remained, Molly asked the question occupying
every mind in the room.
"What is your name, love?"
The young woman looked up.
"Zee."
"Just Zee?"
"Zee Price."
Something about the name caught my attention immediately.
Price.
I wasn't sure why.
Only that it sounded oddly familiar.
A Name Returns
Molly smiled.
"Are you from around here?"
Zee shook her head.
"No."
Mrs Watkins leaned forward slightly.
Mrs Thistlewood managed an even subtler movement.
Approximately half an inch.
Both women considered themselves masters of discretion.
Neither was.
Zee looked around the room.
Then towards the sleeping child.
"My family used to be Milton-Price."
The room became utterly silent.
Even Mrs Thistlewood stopped moving.
For a second or two, nobody spoke.
I felt a chill run unexpectedly down my back.
Milton-Price.
The name hung in the air.
Zee looked down at her son.
"I dropped the Milton a few years ago."
Nobody seemed entirely sure what to say.
It was Molly who broke the silence.
"You were related to Lawrence?"
Zee nodded.
"My father was James."
The effect was immediate.
James.
One of the names from Archibald Winterbottom's family tree.
One of Augustus Milton-Price's children.
A missing branch.
A missing descendant.
A missing family.
And suddenly the telephone conversation returned in vivid
detail.
"I've received a telephone call."
"From whom?"
"A relative."
I closed my eyes.
"Oh no."
Everybody looked at me.
I opened them again.
"You called Archibald Winterbottom."
Zee blinked.
"Yes."
"Yesterday?"
"Yes."
Mrs Thistlewood stared.
Then slowly turned her head towards me.
The movement carried all the weight of a judge preparing to
pass sentence.
"You knew."
"No."
"You spoke to Archibald."
"Yes."
"He tried to tell you."
"Probably."
"You interrupted him."
"I had a funeral."
Mrs Watkins folded her arms.
"A professional investigator never ignores incoming
information."
"It wasn't an investigation."
"It obviously was."
I decided there was little point arguing.
Lawrence's Great-Niece
The pieces settled together with startling speed.
James Milton-Price.
His daughter Zee.
Lawrence's great-niece.
A relative none of us had known existed.
Or rather, a relative Archibald had discovered moments
before I hung up on him.
The absurdity of the situation was almost impressive.
We had searched.
We had speculated.
We had debated.
And then a direct descendant had simply arrived at the
funeral.
In labour.
Mrs Thistlewood looked delighted.
She enjoyed mysteries.
But she enjoyed solved mysteries even more.
Particularly when new mysteries immediately appeared behind
them.
"Lawrence would've liked this," she announced.
I was doubtful.
"I'm not sure anybody likes labour during their own
funeral."
"Not that part."
"What part?"
"The family turning up."
For once, she had a point.
A Name for the Child
A small sound emerged from the blanket.
Everyone looked down.
The baby stretched slightly.
Then settled again.
Molly smiled.
"Have you chosen a name?"
"I had one."
"Had?"
Zee nodded.
Then glanced towards the window.
Beyond it lay St Bartholomew's.
Beyond that, Lawrence Milton-Price's newly filled grave.
"I've changed my mind."
Mrs Watkins sat a little straighter.
Mrs Thistlewood practically vibrated.
"What are you calling him?" Molly asked.
Zee looked down at the child.
For a moment her expression softened completely.
"Milton."
Silence settled again.
A gentler silence this time.
"Milton Price," Molly said softly.
Zee smiled.
Then added:
"Milton Lawrence Price."
Nobody laughed.
Nobody joked.
Nobody made a clever remark.
The name felt exactly right.
A connection between past and future.
Between the man being buried and the child newly born.
One Milton-Price returning to the churchyard.
Another beginning his journey only a few yards away.
Even Mrs Thistlewood seemed briefly moved.
Though only briefly.
Because a few seconds later she said:
"Archibald is going to have to redraw that family
tree."
And, for once, nobody disagreed.
Another Branch of the Family
For a little while, nobody said very much.
The baby slept.
The mother rested.
And all of us attempted to absorb the fact that Lawrence
Milton-Price's funeral had somehow produced both a descendant and a birth.
Outside, Harbour Street remained unusually quiet.
The village had not yet decided how to process the morning.
Frankly, neither had I.
It was Zee who broke the silence.
"I wasn't sure I'd make it in time."
Molly looked up.
"For the funeral?"
Zee nodded.
"I drove most of the night."
"From where?"
She told us.
It was several hours away.
Far enough to explain her exhaustion.
Far enough to explain why nobody in Pebblewick had ever met
her.
"I saw the obituary online yesterday morning," she
continued. "I didn't even know Great-Uncle Lawrence had died."
The title caught my attention.
Great-Uncle.
Not uncle.
Not great-great-uncle.
The relationship fitted perfectly.
One more piece dropping into place.
"You knew about him?" I asked.
"A bit."
"A bit?"
Zee smiled apologetically.
"My dad talked about him sometimes."
James.
Again that name.
A man none of us had met.
A man who had existed for days merely as a name on Archibald
Winterbottom's paperwork.
Now he suddenly seemed much more real.
"What did he say?" Molly asked.
Zee laughed softly.
"Mostly that Lawrence argued with everybody."
Several people exchanged glances.
Nobody disagreed.
"And?" Mrs Watkins prompted.
"And he was usually convinced he was right."
Silence.
Then even Doctor Heal smiled.
The Problem With Family Trees
I found myself thinking again about Archibald.
Poor Archibald.
Somewhere, undoubtedly, he would be sitting beside a
carefully organised collection of documents, certificates, notes and charts.
A completed family tree.
Or what he had believed was a completed family tree.
Meanwhile, one of its branches had just arrived unexpectedly
in Pebblewick carrying another branch inside her.
Genealogy can be a cruel profession.
"It's not just Zee," I said aloud.
Everyone looked at me.
"What isn't?" Molly asked.
"The family."
"What about them?"
I leaned back.
"If Zee stopped using Milton-Price, there may be
others."
Doctor Heal nodded thoughtfully.
"Reasonable."
Mrs Thistlewood's eyes lit up.
That was unfortunate.
Nothing good ever followed Mrs Thistlewood looking
encouraged.
"You mean Jack's family."
"Possibly."
"Jane's too."
"Possibly."
"There could be dozens."
"There probably aren't dozens."
"But there could be."
Mrs Watkins nodded.
"I like dozens."
"You would."
The terrifying thing was that she might have been right.
We had spent days searching for Milton-Prices.
But people changed names all the time.
Marriage.
Divorce.
Remarriage.
Adoption.
Personal preference.
Entire branches could vanish from sight while remaining
alive and well.
Lawrence's family might never have disappeared at all.
We might simply have been looking under the wrong names.
The Ambulance
At last, the distant sound of a siren drifted through the
village.
"It took them long enough," muttered Mrs
Thistlewood.
Doctor Heal ignored her.
The sound grew louder.
A few moments later the ambulance stopped outside.
The crew entered carrying equipment and wearing expressions
suggesting they had already received a very unusual radio message.
One of them looked around the tearoom.
The exhausted mother.
The sleeping baby.
Half the village.
The mountain of tea towels.
The doctor.
Then she asked:
"Churchyard birth?"
Doctor Heal nodded.
"Churchyard birth."
The ambulance crew exchanged a glance.
I suspected this would feature prominently in future
conversations.
After a brief examination, they confirmed that both mother
and baby seemed perfectly healthy.
Relief spread around the room.
Even Mrs Thistlewood relaxed slightly.
Only slightly.
Farewell to Zee
Eventually the crew prepared to leave.
Molly helped Zee with her coat.
Elizabeth wrapped the baby securely in a proper blanket.
A development Molly seemed oddly unhappy about.
I had a suspicion she wanted the tea towels preserved for
historical purposes.
The baby remained blissfully unconcerned throughout.
He slept through everything.
Including being carried towards an ambulance.
A useful skill.
At the doorway, Zee paused.
She looked around at all of us.
The strangers who had helped deliver her son.
The villagers who had attended her great-uncle's funeral.
The people she had not known existed that morning.
"Thank you."
The words were simple.
But heartfelt.
Molly hugged her.
Elizabeth squeezed her hand.
Doctor Heal picked up his bag.
The ambulance crew guided her outside.
Then she looked down at the infant in her arms.
"Come on, Milton."
The baby's tiny face remained entirely indifferent.
A true Milton-Price already.
The ambulance doors closed.
The vehicle moved away.
This time without the siren.
We watched it disappear beyond the harbour road.
Nobody spoke for several moments.
Then Mrs Watkins sighed.
"Well."
Mrs Thistlewood looked at her.
"I said that first."
"No, you didn't."
"I absolutely did."
"You said it in the churchyard."
"That still counts."
The argument continued.
Which was reassuring.
For a few minutes, Pebblewick had seemed unusually
thoughtful.
The restoration of mild bickering suggested normal service
was returning.
Harold Remembers
As everyone slowly drifted out of The Merry Teapot, one
thought returned with alarming force.
Archibald Winterbottom.
I stopped in the doorway.
"Oh dear."
Molly looked at me.
"What now?"
"I hung up on a professional genealogist."
"Yes."
"Who was trying to tell me about Zee."
"Yes."
"And then attended a funeral."
"Yes."
"And a birth."
"Also yes."
I sighed.
"I really ought to telephone him."
Molly nodded.
"Before Mrs Thistlewood does."
We both looked across the room.
Mrs Thistlewood had already taken out a notebook.
That was all the encouragement I needed.
I headed towards The Salty Page.
Somewhere in Pebblewick, Lawrence Milton-Price now rested
beside his family.
Somewhere on the road to hospital, Milton Lawrence Price was
beginning his life.
And somewhere else entirely, Archibald Winterbottom was
probably sitting beside a family tree that had become out of date before the
ink was dry.
Thursday Afternoon: Back at The Salty Page
By the time I reached The Salty Page, Harbour Street
was slowly returning to normal.
Or, at least, Pebblewick's version of normal.
Shops reopened.
Deliveries resumed.
People attempted to carry on with their day.
Unfortunately for those people, the village had just
experienced a funeral, a birth and the discovery of a previously unknown branch
of the Milton-Price family.
Normality was facing difficult odds.
Constable Moss accompanied me.
So did Mrs Thistlewood.
And Mrs Watkins.
Neither woman had received an invitation.
This made no apparent difference.
I unlocked the door.
Mrs Thistlewood entered first.
Mrs Watkins entered second.
I entered third.
The ownership structure of the bookshop occasionally felt
rather unclear.
Archibald At Last
I turned the sign back to OPEN.
Then I picked up the telephone.
Mrs Thistlewood folded her arms.
"You're going to let him finish speaking this
time?"
"That is the plan."
Mrs Watkins settled into her favourite chair near the crime
section.
"A sensible improvement."
I dialled.
Archibald answered after three rings.
"Winterbottom."
"Mr Winterbottom. Harold Quibble."
There was a pause.
A long pause.
An injured pause.
"Ah."
I recognised that ah immediately.
It was the sound of a professional man remembering he had
been interrupted at a critical moment.
"I'm sorry about earlier."
"Indeed."
"The funeral started."
"So you mentioned."
"It subsequently became complicated."
There was silence.
Then:
"How complicated?"
I considered how best to answer.
Finally I settled upon honesty.
"The relative arrived."
"Good."
"Then she gave birth."
Silence.
A very long silence.
"Mr Quibble?"
"Yes?"
"Would you repeat that?"
"The relative arrived."
"Yes."
"Then she gave birth."
Another silence followed.
I could almost hear Archibald removing his spectacles.
Eventually he spoke.
"At the funeral?"
"Yes."
"In the church?"
"No."
A pause.
"Thank heavens."
"In the churchyard."
The silence returned.
Updating the Family Tree
When Archibald finally recovered, his first response was
entirely characteristic.
"The family tree will require amendment."
Mrs Watkins pointed triumphantly.
"I told you so."
"No, you didn't," said Mrs Thistlewood.
"I absolutely did."
"You merely implied it."
"I practically announced it."
I ignored them.
"What exactly did Zee tell you?" I asked.
"Quite a lot, actually."
Archibald's professional instincts had clearly recovered.
"She contacted me shortly after seeing the obituary. We
spoke at length regarding her father."
"James."
"Precisely."
One more missing piece falling into place.
"So James Milton-Price is definitely Lawrence's
nephew?"
"Yes."
"And Zee is James's daughter?"
"Correct."
Constable Moss took out his notebook.
The sound of pages turning suggested official records were
about to be updated.
The Missing Milton-Prices
"But there may be others," I said.
"Almost certainly."
That answer surprised me.
"You're sure?"
"Not sure. Suspicious."
For a genealogist, I suspected that qualified as enthusiasm.
Archibald continued.
"The problem with family tracing is that surnames are
not permanent."
I glanced towards Mrs Thistlewood.
She nodded vigorously.
The fact that she agreed with Archibald worried me slightly.
"Marriage changes them. Divorce changes them. People
abandon double-barrelled surnames. Others adopt entirely different names. Some
simply prefer shorter versions."
"Like Zee."
"Exactly."
I thought about that.
For days, we'd searched for Milton-Prices.
Meanwhile, one of them had been living perfectly happily as
Price.
A less determined researcher might never have found her.
Fortunately Archibald Winterbottom approached family history
much as a bloodhound approached scent.
Once he had started, stopping was no longer an option.
Lawrence Wasn't Alone
For a moment nobody spoke.
The significance slowly settled over the room.
Lawrence Milton-Price had gone to his grave believing his
family line had almost vanished.
Certainly that had been the impression around Pebblewick.
Yet by lunchtime we had found:
A great-niece.
A great-great-nephew.
And potentially several more descendants.
All hidden behind changed names and scattered lives.
"It's rather nice," said Mrs Watkins.
We looked at her.
"What is?"
"That he wasn't the last one."
For once, nobody argued.
The old woman was right.
Lawrence had died.
But the family hadn't ended.
Quite the opposite.
A new branch had appeared at the exact moment the oldest
branch was being laid to rest.
More Work For Archibald
"What happens next?" Constable Moss asked.
Archibald answered immediately.
"I continue."
"Continue what?"
"The search."
The reply carried the quiet determination of a man who had
just discovered his completed project wasn't completed after all.
"Jack remains unresolved."
"What about Jane?" I asked.
"Also unresolved."
Mrs Thistlewood brightened.
"Excellent."
I stared at her.
"How is that excellent?"
"It means there are more people to find."
"This is not a treasure hunt."
She considered this.
"It has become one."
Mrs Watkins nodded.
"It definitely has."
Constable Moss reopened his notebook.
I closed my eyes briefly.
The investigation I kept insisting did not exist was
acquiring participants at an alarming rate.
Archibald's Observation
Before ending the call, Archibald became unusually
reflective.
"No family tree is ever finished, Mr Quibble."
That sounded like something he had spent years thinking
about.
"People imagine genealogy concerns the past."
"Doesn't it?"
"No."
The answer surprised me.
"It's about continuity," he said quietly.
"There is no final version. Every birth alters the
picture. Every marriage alters the picture. Every generation redraws the
tree."
I found myself thinking of Zee.
And of the baby sleeping in her arms.
Milton Lawrence Price.
Born less than an hour before.
Already changing the history of the family he had entered.
"I suppose that's true."
"It is true."
Archibald paused.
"And today is rather a remarkable example of it."
For once, I couldn't disagree.
One Milton-Price had been buried.
Another had been born.
An ending and a beginning separated by only a few yards of
churchyard grass.
After the Call
I put the telephone down.
The shop was quiet.
Outside, the afternoon sunlight stretched across Harbour
Street.
Mrs Watkins sat thoughtfully.
Constable Moss closed his notebook.
Mrs Thistlewood looked unbearably pleased.
"What?" I asked.
She smiled.
"We've got more relatives to find."
I sighed.
"This is exactly the attitude I'm worried about."
"It'll be fun."
"Finding missing descendants is not supposed to be
fun."
Mrs Watkins looked at me.
"That's what makes it interesting."
I turned towards the shelves.
Books suddenly seemed refreshingly uncomplicated.
They stayed exactly where you put them.
Families, on the other hand, had an unfortunate habit of
continuing.
And somewhere beyond Pebblewick, if Archibald Winterbottom
was correct, there were still more Milton-Prices waiting to be discovered.
Some Actual Customers
For all the excitement of the morning, The Salty Page
did eventually return to the business of selling books.
A little.
Not much.
Pebblewick had already expended a great deal of emotional
energy on funerals, family trees, tea towels and childbirth.
Reading seemed almost ambitious by comparison.
A holidaymaker purchased a guide to coastal walks.
Another customer bought a history of local shipwrecks and
spent ten minutes explaining that he did not normally read history.
I had heard this explanation from history readers many times
before.
Mrs Watkins returned shortly after leaving.
This surprised nobody.
She selected a crime novel from a display near the counter.
"I've been meaning to read this for months."
I looked at the publication date.
It had been released three days earlier.
Mrs Watkins noticed me looking.
"What?"
"Nothing."
"You don't believe me."
"No."
She bought the book anyway.
I suspected the purchase was merely an excuse to check
whether Archibald Winterbottom had telephoned again.
He had not.
Dorothy Arrives
Late in the afternoon, the bell above the door rang again.
I looked up and smiled.
Elizabeth had arrived.
Dorothy was with her.
Yet something about Dorothy seemed different.
Normally she entered with the quiet confidence of somebody
who knew exactly how the bookshop worked.
Today she looked oddly serious.
That immediately worried me.
Elizabeth, on the other hand, looked as though she was
trying not to smile.
The combination suggested news.
Potentially good news.
Potentially terrible news.
With Pebblewick, one could never be entirely certain.
"What's happened?" I asked.
Dorothy clasped her hands together.
Then took a breath.
"I've been accepted."
It took me a second.
Then understanding arrived.
"University?"
She nodded.
The seriousness vanished instantly.
A smile appeared.
A proper smile.
"I got confirmation this morning."
For a moment I simply stared at her.
Then I walked around the counter and hugged her.
"That's wonderful."
She laughed.
"I hoped you might think so."
"Think so? Dorothy, that's fantastic."
Elizabeth's smile widened.
Apparently I had reacted correctly.
Looking Forward
We spent the next several minutes discussing nothing else.
Which university.
When term started.
What she planned to study.
Where she would live.
The conversation carried all the excitement that accompanies
the beginning of a new chapter.
For Dorothy, that chapter suddenly felt very close.
Only weeks earlier she had been nervously answering
telephones in the bookshop.
Now she was talking about lectures, accommodation and
freshers' events.
Life moved quickly when it chose to.
Eventually I noticed Elizabeth exchanging a glance with her
daughter.
A suspicious glance.
A glance that suggested there was more.
"What?"
Dorothy grinned.
"What what?"
"There's something else."
Elizabeth laughed.
"I told you he'd know."
Dorothy looked delighted.
Then she said:
"I'm going travelling."
I blinked.
"Travelling?"
"Around Europe."
I blinked again.
"Around Europe?"
"With my best friend."
"For how long?"
"A few weeks."
I stared at her.
This seemed wildly ambitious.
My own annual holiday generally consisted of finding a
different chair and sitting in it.
Dorothy, meanwhile, intended to cross international borders.
Youth appeared exhausting.
Saturday
"When are you going?" I asked.
"Saturday."
I frowned.
"This Saturday?"
"Yes."
The answer struck me with surprising force.
Saturday.
Only a few days away.
Which meant something else.
I looked at her.
"You won't be here."
Her smile softened.
"No."
The shop suddenly felt slightly different.
Strange.
One always knows people will eventually move on.
Yet the reality arrives much faster than expected.
"You should have told me sooner."
"I know."
She looked genuinely apologetic.
"But everything happened at once. The university place
was confirmed, then the trip was confirmed..."
I nodded.
"That's fair."
And it was.
Her life was opening up.
That was something to celebrate, not complain about.
Even if it did mean I would soon lose the most competent
employee The Salty Page had ever possessed.
Mrs Thistlewood's Achievement
Then another thought occurred to me.
"Oh dear."
Dorothy frowned.
"What?"
"Mrs Thistlewood."
Elizabeth immediately understood.
The two women exchanged a look.
Dorothy groaned.
"Oh no."
"Yes."
Mrs Thistlewood had, after all, effectively recruited
Dorothy.
She had interviewed her.
Recommended her.
Installed her.
And generally behaved as though the arrangement were her
personal achievement.
Which, to a modest extent, it had been.
"She'll be heartbroken," Elizabeth said.
"She'll be dramatic."
"Definitely dramatic."
Dorothy sighed.
"I'd better tell her."
"You really should."
"Before somebody else does?"
"Particularly before somebody else does."
A Reference
For a moment I looked at her standing there.
The nervous schoolgirl who had first arrived at the bookshop
seemed a very long way away.
Experience does that.
Confidence does that.
Growing up does that.
"You know," I said, "you've been genuinely
excellent here."
Dorothy looked embarrassed.
"Thank you."
"I mean it."
"You don't have to say that."
"I'm not saying it because I have to."
That made her smile again.
"You learned everything almost immediately."
"I had a good teacher."
"Let's not get carried away."
Elizabeth laughed.
"Dorothy answers the telephone better than you
do."
"That's a low bar."
"It's still true."
Unfortunately, it was.
I sighed.
"When you need a reference, I'll write you one."
"Really?"
"Of course."
Her face brightened immediately.
"Thank you, Harold."
For a moment, the morning's funeral, the churchyard birth
and the Milton-Price mystery all seemed very far away.
This was another sort of beginning.
Quieter than a birth.
Less dramatic than a funeral.
But important nonetheless.
Someone preparing to leave the village and discover the
wider world.
Friday Evening
Then Elizabeth asked a question.
It seemed innocent enough.
"Are you doing anything tomorrow evening?"
I looked at her.
"Friday?"
She nodded.
"That is generally what follows Thursday."
"I've had a long day."
"So have we."
Dorothy folded her arms.
"We had a funeral."
"A baby."
"A university acceptance."
"A family mystery."
She counted them on her fingers.
"You've actually had quite a busy Thursday."
When she put it that way, the day did sound absurd.
Elizabeth smiled.
"We thought we'd get a takeaway tomorrow and wondered
whether you'd like to join us."
I answered far too quickly.
"Yes."
Both women noticed.
I knew they noticed.
That merely made matters worse.
Dorothy looked down, apparently studying the floor with
great concentration.
The expression on her face suggested she understood rather
more than I would have liked.
"About seven?" Elizabeth asked.
"Seven is perfect."
It was not perfect.
Nothing requiring me to spend an evening attempting to
appear relaxed around Elizabeth could reasonably be described as perfect.
But it certainly sounded preferable to spending the evening
alone.
"Good," she said.
"Good," I agreed.
Enough For One Day
After they left, I stood behind the counter for a while.
The shop was quiet again.
Late-afternoon sunlight stretched across the shelves.
Outside, Harbour Street carried on as though the day had
been entirely ordinary.
It had not.
That morning Lawrence Milton-Price had been buried beside
his parents and grandparents.
Before lunchtime, a baby had been born in St Bartholomew's
churchyard.
By early afternoon, we had discovered that the Milton-Price
family tree was far larger than anyone realised.
And by evening, Dorothy was preparing to leave for Europe
before beginning university.
Everyone seemed to be going somewhere.
Lawrence to his rest.
Zee and little Milton to hospital.
Dorothy to Europe.
Eventually university.
And tomorrow, apparently, I was going to Elizabeth's house
for a takeaway.
Oddly enough, that last prospect felt the most intimidating
of all.
I looked at the clock.
Then at the sign hanging in the door.
With considerable relief, I turned it from OPEN to CLOSED.
Pebblewick had provided quite enough news for one day.
I locked the door and headed home.
Tomorrow, I suspected, would be complicated too.
Comments
Post a Comment