Thomas Clifford Fox
1916 was a leap year. 29th of February 1916, Thomas Clifford Fox, died aged 22 years.
Thomas Clifford Fox Danygraig Cemetery credit - findagrave |
Thomas was born in October 1893, the son of Thomas Fox and
Maria Fowler, who were married in 1888.
At the time of the 1901 Census, Thomas, aged 7, was living
with his parents, at 35 New Street.
1901 Census |
Thomas, 50, was employed as a Shipwright, whilst Maria was
48 years old. Their children present
were
William Benjamin, 11, and 7-year-old Thomas Clifford.
Thomas Clifford, now 17 years old, is still living at 35 New
Street at the time of the 1911 Census.
1911 Census |
Thomas, 60, is still employed as a Shipwright, whilst Maria
is 58 years old.
Their two sons, William Benjamin, 21, is employed as
Shipwright Apprentice and Thomas is employed as Polisher Apprentice.
27th of January 1915, Thomas enlisted to serve
with the Royal Field Artillery, his service lasting the duration of the war. His Attestation Papers have survived.
Attestation Papers |
Thomas died at the No.1 Eastern General Hospital, Cambridge. His name is in the Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901 - 1929
Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901 - 1929 |
The No.1 Eastern General Hospital. On 17 September 1914 work commenced towards the building of a military ‘shadow’ hospital on land which had been used as cricket grounds, shared by King’s College and Clare College, and eventually became the University Library. On 17 October 1914, the first patients were admitted to the First Eastern General Hospital (Territorial Force), which comprised several rows of huts bounded on the north by Burrell’s Walk. On 1 December 1915, an agreement was made with the Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely Territorial Force Association, which set out the conditions on which the land would continue to be used.
During the War Bodley’s building (staircases S-X), which had
only been completed in 1893, was relatively empty due to the absence of
students on war-time duties. Bodley’s building, Scott’s building, Fawcett’s
building, and a room in the Gateway were used to house the nurses for the
hospital.
After the War, the Cambridge Corporation (now the Cambridge
City Council) leased the land for a housing project. In 1925 the land was sold
to Cambridge University. They decided that the University Library should be
moved from their site next to the Senate House, on land which had once been
part of the King’s College’s Old Court, to this new site on the opposite side
of the River Cam.
Thomas is buried with his grandparents, Benjamin and
Elizabeth Fowler.
Comments
Post a Comment