Chapter 8
The following week of research was tense. There were the occasional phone calls from Len, checking on how the investigation was progressing and reminding me, in no uncertain terms, that time was running out and that Mr Anderson was becoming increasingly impatient.
My task was to establish where the Abategiovanni family had originally come from in Tuscany.
At first, the trail was frustratingly sparse.
The 1911 Census proved to be my starting point. There, living above the premises of Anderson and Green, Jewellers, was a young man recorded as Gabriele Anderson, aged nineteen, born in Italy. The entry was brief but intriguing. Who exactly had he been before becoming Anderson? When had he arrived in Britain? And why had he abandoned a surname as distinctive as Abategiovanni?
I spent several days working backwards through the records.
Trade directories from London revealed that Gabriele had been employed in the jewellery trade by at least 1910. Electoral records were of little assistance owing to his age, but business directories confirmed the presence of a young Italian working his way into London society.
The real breakthrough came when I broadened the search beyond England.
Passenger lists produced several possibilities, though many proved to be false leads. Italian surnames were frequently misspelled by English clerks unfamiliar with foreign names. Consequently, the search required patience and imagination. I examined numerous variations of Abategiovanni before gradually identifying records that appeared to belong to the same family.
During long evenings surrounded by notebooks, photocopies and census returns, I began assembling every reference I could find relating to the family. The surname was exceptionally rare. Unlike Smith or Jones, there were very few Abategiovannis to confuse matters. Almost every occurrence seemed to point towards a single familial line.
Gradually the records led me to a village in Tuscany.
That village was Montefioralle.
The further my research progressed, the more fascinated I became by the place.
Perched upon a hillside overlooking the lush Val di Greve, Montefioralle appeared almost untouched by the passage of time. Encircled by medieval stone walls, it consisted of narrow lanes, ancient dwellings and terraced fields draped across the surrounding slopes. Looking at photographs of the village, it was not difficult to imagine that Gabriele himself would have recognised every corner had he returned a century later.
The census returns painted a portrait of a close-knit community in which families remained rooted for generations. Sons established homes close to their fathers. Grandchildren grew up within sight of their grandparents. The same surnames appeared repeatedly throughout the surviving records.
The Abategiovanni family were very much part of this world.
As I worked methodically through the records, their presence seemed almost constant. Whether in the census of 1861, 1871, 1881, 1901, or the years leading up to the Great War, the family repeatedly appeared amongst the cultivators and agricultural workers of Montefioralle.
Their livelihood centred upon an olive grove situated on the slopes below the village. Although complete land ownership records remained elusive, the census returns strongly suggested that the grove had remained in the family's possession for generations. Fathers passed their occupation to sons, who in turn raised families amongst the olive trees that provided the household's livelihood.
I found myself imagining daily life there.
In summer the Tuscan hills would have shimmered beneath a cloudless sky. Silver-green olive groves stretched across the landscape, while vineyards climbed the surrounding slopes in neat geometric rows. Church bells marked the passing of the hours. News travelled slowly, and few villagers ventured far from the land upon which their families depended.
For the Abategiovannis, Montefioralle was not simply where they lived.
It was home.
Every baptismal record, every marriage register and every census return reinforced that fact. Their roots reached deeply into the soil of Tuscany.
This was what made Gabriele's departure so remarkable.
Unlike many migrants driven by desperate poverty, he appeared to come from a settled and well-established family. They possessed land, family connections, and a place within the local community. Yet sometime before 1910, eighteen-year-old Gabriele made the extraordinary decision to leave.
The records offered no explanation.
No census return revealed his thoughts. No surviving document recorded his farewell to his parents, brothers or sisters. Yet by 1910 he had appeared in London.
The evidence became clearer as the research continued.
A few days later, further enquiries revealed that census records for Montefioralle were available from 1861 onwards. This discovery proved invaluable. Working systematically through each decade, I reconstructed the family household by household.
The process was painstaking.
Names altered slightly between records. Ages fluctuated. Handwriting tested both patience and eyesight. Several times I was forced to redraw sections of the family tree after identifying errors or previously overlooked connections.
Gradually, however, the evidence accumulated.
By the end of the week I had successfully traced the Abategiovanni family back to 1861. The resulting family tree stretched across several sheets of paper joined together with tape. What had begun as a simple chart now resembled the map of a small dynasty.
At its centre stood the name that had started the entire investigation.
Gabriele Abategiovanni.
According to the records, he was born in Montefioralle in 1892, the youngest son of Giuseppe Abategiovanni and his wife Maria.
With only twenty-four hours remaining before Len's deadline expired, I assembled the completed family tree and printed copies of every relevant census return and supporting document.
The appointed day arrived.
A loud knock echoed through the house, and when I opened the door, Len made himself at home immediately.
"Have you got your stuff together?" he asked.
Gathering my papers, I followed him outside to a waiting car, where Roger sat behind the wheel. He greeted me with a warm smile.
This time I was not blindfolded.
As we drove through the city, I found myself studying the route. Eventually Roger turned through a pair of imposing iron gates. A polished brass sign stood beside them.
ANDERSON & CO.
PRIVATE STORAGE & LOGISTICS
The building beyond was larger and more impressive than I had imagined.
Roger parked near the entrance.
"We're here," he said.
I gathered my folder and followed Len inside.
The office was far removed from the warehouse atmosphere I had expected.
Dark oak panelling lined the walls, interrupted only by shelves filled with leather-bound volumes and framed photographs. Several paintings depicted scenes of Tuscany: vineyards bathed in afternoon sunlight, winding country lanes, and ancient hilltop villages. One painting caught my attention immediately.
It depicted a circular fortified village perched on a hillside.
Montefioralle.
Whether by coincidence or design, it was evident that Mr Anderson had never forgotten where his family originated.
The door closed softly behind us.
Mr Anderson rose slowly from behind his desk.
Now in his sixties, he carried himself with quiet authority. His silver-grey hair was neatly groomed and his tailored dark suit reflected a lifetime of success.
"Winterbottom," he said warmly. "Please, take a seat."
Standing beside him was Roman.
The family resemblance was unmistakable despite the forty-year age gap. Roman appeared to be in his early twenties, tall, athletic and impeccably dressed in a modern charcoal-grey suit.
Len and Roger lingered by the doorway.
Mr Anderson turned to them.
"Thank you, gentlemen. You've done your part."
Both men nodded.
Roger offered me a reassuring smile.
"Good luck," he said.
The pair departed, leaving the three of us alone.
For a moment nobody spoke.
Mr Anderson's gaze settled upon the large folder beneath my arm.
"Have you found them?" he asked.
The question was simple, yet I sensed sixty years of speculation behind it.
I placed the folder carefully upon the conference table.
"Yes."
Roman stepped forward immediately.
"You have?"
"I believe so."
Slowly I unfolded the family tree.
One sheet became two.
Two became four.
Soon the table was almost entirely covered with names, dates, census extracts and family connections stretching back through generations of Tuscan history.
Roman stared in amazement.
"My God."
Mr Anderson removed his spectacles and leaned over the table.
For several minutes neither man spoke.
Father and son stood side by side, absorbing the names of people they had never known yet were directly connected to.
Finally, Mr Anderson broke the silence.
"So it really begins in Montefioralle."
"It does," I replied.
A faint smile appeared on his face.
"My grandfather would have been pleased to know that."
Roman looked at him.
"You never really told me much about him."
Mr Anderson sat down and rested his hands upon the table.
"There was one story he told more often than any other."
The room grew quiet.
"My grandfather told a story," he said. "A story I dismissed as family folklore. According to him, one of our ancestors quarrelled with his brothers over the inheritance of the olive grove."
Roman leaned forward.
"Gabriele?"
Mr Anderson shrugged.
"I don't know. Grandfather never mentioned a name. By the time the story reached him it had already passed through several generations. But he always claimed there was one young man who refused to accept the life laid out before him."
His gaze settled upon the records.
"He said the young man believed there was more to life than working the family land. While his brothers looked towards the olive trees, he looked towards the road leading out of the village."
I looked down at Gabriele's birth record.
"Interestingly, Gabriele's own story fits much of what your grandfather described."
I handed the document to Roman.
"This reveals that he was the youngest son of Giuseppe Abategiovanni and his wife Maria."
More census returns followed.
"These records show him growing up amongst a large extended family. Brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles and grandparents. Everything about his early life appears deeply connected to Montefioralle."
Roman studied the documents.
"So he really existed."
"He certainly did."
I pointed towards the household entries.
"Nothing in the surviving documents suggests that he was destined for a life in London. Looking purely at the evidence, you would expect him to remain in Tuscany, work the family's olive grove alongside his father Giuseppe, marry locally, and spend the rest of his life in Montefioralle."
"Like everybody else," Roman said.
"Exactly."
I placed the London records beside the census returns.
"Yet by the age of eighteen he had vanished from Tuscany and appeared in England."
The room fell silent.
I found myself looking once again at the family tree.
"That was what fascinated me most. Most family histories unfold predictably across the generations. Fathers follow fathers. Sons inherit occupations. Families remain where they have always been."
My finger traced the line of Abategiovannis backwards through the decades.
"Then suddenly the pattern breaks."
I tapped Gabriele's name.
"This family had spent generations in Montefioralle. Then one young man crossed Europe and began again."
Mr Anderson nodded slowly.
"When you put it like that, it sounds remarkable."
"Because it was."
For several moments the three of us stared at the documents.
The documentary evidence and the family legend were beginning to align.
Mr Anderson picked up the birth record.
"The youngest son of Giuseppe and Maria," he said quietly.
I nodded.
"Yes."
He continued studying the document.
"You know, my grandfather rarely spoke about the men by name. But he often spoke about mothers."
Neither Roman nor I interrupted.
"He used to say that when families left Italy, they didn't simply leave villages behind."
His finger rested gently upon Maria's name.
"They left mothers behind."
The room became still.
I imagined Maria Abategiovanni standing outside her home in Montefioralle sometime before 1910, watching her youngest son prepare to leave. Perhaps believing she would never see him again. Perhaps wondering why he would choose uncertainty over everything familiar.
No census return recorded that moment.
No official document ever would.
Yet somehow it felt as important as any record I had uncovered.
Roman looked down at the family tree.
"Do you think Maria ever knew what happened to him?"
Mr Anderson smiled sadly.
"I would like to think she did."
His eyes drifted towards the London records.
"I would like to think she learned that her youngest son succeeded."
He stood and walked towards the window.
For a long moment he said nothing.
Then he turned back towards us.
"For sixty years I've wanted to know where our family began."
His hand rested gently upon the family tree.
"Not the business. Not the money."
His finger touched Gabriele's name.
"This."
"The beginning," Roman said.
Mr Anderson nodded.
"The beginning."
The room fell silent once more.
Spread across the table were census returns, birth registrations and family stories handed down through generations.
Slowly, they had come together.
At the centre of both stood the same figure.
Gabriele Abategiovanni.
The youngest son of Giuseppe and Maria Abategiovanni, born amongst the olive groves and vineyards of Montefioralle. The boy who grew up surrounded by family beneath the ancient walls of a Tuscan village. The young man whose future appeared already mapped out before him.
Yet something had stirred within him.
Perhaps it was ambition.
Perhaps adventure.
Or perhaps, as Mr Anderson's grandfather had always claimed, a quarrel over the inheritance of the family olive grove convinced him that his future lay elsewhere.
Whatever the reason, Gabriele chose a path unlike any taken by his ancestors.
While Giuseppe looked towards the olive grove that had sustained the family for generations, and while Maria undoubtedly hoped that her youngest son would remain close to home, Gabriele looked beyond the valley.
Beyond Montefioralle.
Beyond Tuscany.
Beyond everything his ancestors had ever known.
By the age of eighteen he had crossed Europe alone.
Within a short time he was living in London, learning his trade as a jeweller.
Somewhere along that remarkable journey, Gabriele Abategiovanni became Gabriele Anderson.
Whether driven by opportunity, determination, wanderlust or family disagreement, the records remain silent.
What they do reveal is that one young man's decision changed the course of history for every generation that followed.
The olive grove.
The village.
Giuseppe.
Maria.
The family legend.
And finally, their youngest son.
Gabriele Abategiovanni.
The first Anderson.
Comments
Post a Comment